“How successful will you be if you only use 7% of something?”
This was the question I asked a group of individuals during a training session. The answer is obvious: “Not very.” My reply: “Then why are you doing it?”
If you have not figured it out yet, you may be using only 7% of one of the most critical functions of business and are expecting to be successful without using the other 93%. What I am speaking about of course is ‘communication.’
I have observed that there has been a lot of wishing, praying and hoping going on today and a lot less of planning, doing and being. In other words, a vast number want to accomplish, or, do something, but take absolutely no ‘action’ to make it a reality.
There has been a lot written in the past about this without giving some clear direction as to what one can do in order to make taking ‘action’ easier.
Last week, I was in a meeting with a potential new client; who has since become a new client, and the owner stated: “Why do you ask so many questions, Joe?” Well, the answer to that question is quite simple; I replied: “To better understand your challenges and to discover if we are actually a fit.”
The challenge is that questions have to be very strategic and thought provoking to get the prospect to provide pertinent information. You must always have an array of questions at your disposal; which is why when we work together, we will work on developing your 20 Power Questions.
Communication starts with someone uttering a single word. Usually, this would cause the other person to respond, again using words. However, as we all know, the words used have a lot of power. Words can hurt, bring joy and inspire. There is no business in this world that exists without the use of words to start it, continue it and yes, even end it.
The words we use in that business can make it successful or not. Which words are you using to make sure that there is a desirable outcome for all involved? After all, ‘words are free, it’s how you use them that may cost you.’
What is the most precious gift that you can give someone? Something that they will treasure and value and put you three steps ahead of everyone else in your client’s eye? The answer, strangely enough, is listening and then moving to an action based on that listening.
There is no doubt that in order for long-standing sustainable business to happen, you have to first and foremost, foster bonding and rapport.